Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mail-Order Chef

I got How to Cook Everything in the mail yesterday!

And yes. I now know how to cook absolutely everything!

I know that these days, cook books are really becoming obsolete. I, myself, have found some of my loveliest recipes from the internet. May I take this moment to recommend Slashfood.com and Smitten Kitchen.com. (Um, which I commonly refer to as Smitten Kitten, but you should not since that website is NOT AT ALL about cooking... I hope.)

Anyway, back to Mark Bittman's book...

I still love looking through cookbooks for ideas and while some have started to gather dust on my shelf (um... Rachael Ray? You and your 4,000 hamburger recipes can suck it.), I think I've found a winner with this one. I've only gotten through the first 100 pages or so, but from what I can tell, it's a great and completely approachable guide to cooking. I've often heard it referred to as the Joy of Cooking for my generation.

Hopefully in the future I'll post about some of my favorites from the book. Stay tuned for my own version of food blogging (complete with sub-par photography!) in the months to come.

Sidenote: I'm on my 7th Blow Pop in the last 3 hours. I am no longer allowed to go to the CVS candy aisle on my lunch break.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kristin! I really love Mark Bittman's columns (and videos) in the New York Times. I didn't realize he has a cookbook too. If you've never watched his videos as the Minimalist, you should check them out. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading about all the fun things you'll soon be making. I'm always looking for new good recipes! :)

Unknown said...

P.S. If you're looking for food blogging inspiration, check out orangette(dot)blogspot(dot)com. (Maybe you already know about it, but I had to pass it on just in case you didn't.)

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those who fell for your Smitten Kitten/Smitten Kitchen confundlement. Thankfully when I clicked on www.smittenkitten.com (that you provided during a gchat conversation) it took me to the "Leading Cats Site on the Net". Though, one might have thought it would be more along the lines of 2girls1cup - which I have NOT seen - only read a description on Wikipedia. Try cooking some of that up. (Gross. I crossed the line.)