Thursday, October 30, 2008

Our cornucopia runneth dry

This was the last week for our CSA share (Community Supported Agriculture) until next year. Homegrown Wisconsin, a collective of farms, was our share provider, and we only bought a half-share which means we picked up our box of produce and goodies every other week.

It was such a fun experience (and sometimes a little sketchy) to cook with produce and ingredients we'd never seen, heard of or cooked before. (Surprise! I love roasted beets! Who knew?) A couple times we scrambled to look up photos to make sure we'd correctly identified everything.

I just realized I'd never posted a photo of our haul, so here's what we got this week and an idea of what we get every two weeks. (Earlier in the season we get more in volume, but I like the later stuff because we have more variety and the items have a longer shelf life.)

That's butternut squash, potatoes, a big bag of spinach, dried mint, delicata squash, carrots, a pie pumpkin, apples, onions and the biggest sweet potato I've ever seen.

We signed up for an egg and cheese share as well, so we get a dozen fresh eggs and 1.5 lbs of Wisconsin cheese (there were many grilled cheeses served in our apartment this summer).

I'm already planning a curried carrot and apple soup along with some veggie macaroni and cheese. Maybe a butternut squash and caramelized onion tart, too. These delicious decisions are why I love the CSA and why I will miss it so.

At least it's soup season now and if there's one thing I love to make... it's a killer meatloaf.

But I guess I'm pretty good at soups too.

**Psst! Weekend and wedding photos/stories are coming soon, I promise. I just have to get all my photos together.

No comments: