Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Escapades on Ice

Last weekend while trying to desperately squeeze some final bits of holiday joy before heading back to work for the first full work week in a long while, Andy, Brian and I decided to go ice skating.

It was Brian's first time on ice and only my 4th or 5th, so it's safe to assume we weren't mastering the triple toe loop or double axel.

Keeping our heads above our asses and not slicing off any kids' fingers with our skates were the goals of the night.

Brian started off a little shaky, but started to get a little more comfortable as the 3 mph skating progressed.

Skating from Kristin Sutter on Vimeo.
Sorry about that up-close-and-personal shot there. Being on video brings out the attention-hogging youngest child in me. I feel the need to perform in juvenile, inappropriate ways.

The longer we skated, the better we got, but with every lap, more children and spasmodic teens took to the ice, creating an infuriating human obstacle course.

At one point, a child latched onto my arm, dragging me to the ice and I barely resisted the urge to wrench my arm from his clutches, punch him in the head and spit on his snow-suited body as I skated away, possibly slicing off a finger or two with my blades of vengeance as I went.

After realizing this impulse to inflict bodily harm wasn't normal, I decided it was time to surrender the rink to the swarms of snot, giggles and tears.

Considering my boots felt like pillowy goodness after the tightly-laced skates, I think it was a good time to call it a day. No reason to risk straining an ankle or a baby toe on the first time out.

After all, if I'm planning on perfecting my salchow by February, I've got to stay limber.

No comments: