Friday, August 29, 2008

Why don'tcha just leave me alone?

My iPod ran out of battery juice halfway through the first of my normal 6 laps around the park on today's lunch break.

Here's where I confess that I do NOT like talking to strangers. I especially don't enjoy it whilst huffing my way through 3 miles in under 50 minutes while trying not to get so sweaty that my coworkers complain about the smell.

Instead of dropping the extra iPod weight on my next pass by the car, I kept the iPod and the headphones as protection. I even hummed along to an imaginary song while passing by an old man on a park bench who often tries to reign me in with a "Hi, how ya doin'?".

As long as I don't make eye contact, it's perfectly acceptable for me to keep walking right on by. I'm not ignoring anyone because I have my headphones on, so how can I hear you asking me, "How about this weather, eh?". (That's a crotchety old man, "eh?", not a Canadian, "aye?" cause I do have a special place in my heart for all Canadians and it's filled with Tim Horton's coffee and maple syrup.)

I know it may seem anti-social and weird, but I like to think of it as "focused" and "creatively avoiding useless conversations with creepy old people".

No comments: